If you like to see the world on your feet, which company is best to tour with? Our readers nominated their favorites, then voted. Results shown during voting may not reflect the audited final counts used to determine winners. For more information see our FAQ. The prize: bragging rights.
- "Mary creates the best tours. She picks interesting locations, some off the beaten path. We have walked in beautiful gardens and fantastic state parks as well as historic places. I have taken over 30 trips and enjoyed every one of them. always look forward to the next adventure with Tater Tours."
- "Well organized, packs an amazing number and variety of walks into each tour, and Mary Ptacek is one of the friendliest and happiest people to travel with!"
- "Mary makes you feel right at home on her trips, and the people on the trips are great."
- "Slower walkers never feel pressured. The very reasonalble cost makes it possible to do several tours each year. Not so with other walking companies."
"History, culture, scenery...more than just a walking tour!" is their slogan. Their walking vacations take walkers to Europe, North America, South America, China, Southeast Asia and Down Under. They incorporate IVV volkssport credit in many of their walks. Nominators say:
- "Well planned, interesting as well as exotic locations, well informed congenial guides that make the entire experience memorable no matter where you go."
- "They take care of you and everything involving you during your trip. They treat you like family yet they are very very professional. The trips are fun filled, never boring. I have taken 4 tours with them."
- "Great guides with lots of local information. Wonderful walks that encompass both history and nature. Excellent accommodations."
- They have built their business on repeat customers. After watching this company for years, I went on my first tour with them to Turkey in October 2011 (undiscounted). It was super. Here is my walk in Istanbul's historic core.
3. NYC Discovery Walking Tours
"Emphasis on walks and history but less on reiteration of dates and more on illustrative stories that makes the site more memorable for the tour-goer."
"They have almost 100 different walks and they can custom it to your interests. We had the Titanic themed walk -- just miles of sites associated with that theme along the route. Great for families."
"Very well informed guides. The tour selection is amazing."