Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 3/4 cup liquid egg substitute or 3 large eggs or 3 /4 cup egg whites
- 1 package frozen chopped spinach (10 oz.) or one large bunch fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheese
- 1/4 cup diced red or green peppers or mixture of both
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- Dash of hot pepper sauce
- Salt to taste - I like it salty and used a half teaspoon.
- Option: fajita spices
- Option: garam masala
- Option: add a few drops of truffle oil
Need: muffin tin, cooking spray, oven
1. Heat oven to 350F
2. Spray the muffin tin cups with the cooking spray. Be sure not to omit this step, or the quiches will stick badly to the baking cups. Another option is to use silicone muffin pans.
3. Thaw and drain spinach - I wring it out well in my hand, which eliminates a lot of the "spinachy" taste for those who hate boiled spinach. If using fresh spinach, steam it in the microwave, press out all juice, then chop.
4. Mix the spinach, eggs or egg substitute, cheese, peppers, onions, hot pepper sauce, salt in a bowl.
5. Fill the muffin tin cups with the mixture.
6. Bake at 350F or 20 minutes. You will know they are done when a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
7. Remove from cups to serve.
Fajita spice variation: Add fajita spice to taste at step 4 (a dash to 1/8 teaspoon). If you like it spicy, you may even want to add a bit of chopped jalapeno.
Indian variation: Add garam masala to taste at step 4 (a dash to 1/8 teaspoon).
Approximately 40 calories each.