Before the Walk Checklist
- Start/finish location
- Registration/packet pick-up time and start time
- Where to park or get bus/train
- Race number if you got it beforehand
- Extra safety pins for race number
- Sunscreen applied
- Give yourself time to get into the porta-john line before the start.
- If you wish to walk with your pet or a baby stroller, check with the event officials to see if it is allowed.
- If you collected pledges, thank your donors.
More: Race Day Guide to the Starting Line: What to expect at the starting line for a big walk/run event.
During the Walk
- Start at a slow and comfortable pace for the first 5-10 minutes. This is easy to do at large events as everyone is moving slow.
- Speed up to your natural pace but remember this is not a race, be gracious to those you pass.
- Pass on the left unless you are facing traffic on an open road - in that case you pass on the traffic side.
- If walking with friends, be aware of those who wish to pass you and don't block the route while walking abreast.
- Be respectful of property - stay on the path, do not trample on people's lawns and gardens, only use porta-johns and not the bushes.
- Don't litter - deposit cups, wrappers, etc. only in waste receptacles or carry them with you till you find one.
- Do not smoke while walking.
- If you feel a blister coming on, stop and apply a bandage immediately before it grows.
- Obey event volunteers and treat them kindly.
- At the finish, take only an appropriate share of the goodies.
You've done it! You made it through a challenging walk, hopefully none worse for the wear. Enjoy your reward - the t-shirt, medal, pin or other item you received. Wear it with pride to work the next day.
After the Walk: Your Next Goal
- Now you know you can walk a distance. Time to plan the next charity walking event you will tackle.
- Perhaps a bigger challenge would help you get fit and healthy through the training. You can train to walk a marathon for charity - many such programs even pay for your transportation and registration to a great walking marathon in a wonderful locale.
- Look for walking clubs and groups in your area to join with for their walks.
- Join the Walk of Life Program with a daily walking and exercise assignment and nutrition and motivation tip.