Rockport Fitness Walking Test Calculator
How fit are you?The Rockport Fitness Walking Test is one of the best tests for cardiorespiratory fitness, determined by finding your VO2max, your maximum possible oxygen consumption.Studies have validated the results for adult military recruits and for youths and adolescents. It compares well with the Air Force 1.5 mile run fitness test in assessing cardiovascular fitness.
You will need a scale to weigh the person being tested, a stopwatch or timing app to time the test, a one mile measured course and a way to measure heart rate.
Take the Rockport 1-Mile Walk Test
- You need to have a 1-mile course. For most high school tracks, that is 4 laps around the innermost lane. How far is it walking around a track?
- You can use an online mapping app to measure out a 1-mile course on a street or path.
- Warm up at a gentle pace for at least 5 minutes.
- Walk 1 mile as fast as you can.
- Record your time to walk 1 mile.
- Take your heart rate immediately at the end of 1 mile. You can do this with a heart rate monitor or by taking your pulse for 15 seconds and multiplying by 4.
- Enter your data into the calculator below. The calculator determines your VO2Max and compares that to standards for your gender and age group to tell you your fitness level.
Please enter the following information:
© nullplus/E+/Getty Images
Walking Fitness Calculators
Target Heart Rate Calculator: Find your target heart rate based on age.
Walking Distance Calculator: Convert miles to kilometers and kilometers to miles
Calorie and Distance Calculator Find out how many calories you burn based on how many minutes you walk, your weight and pace.
Pedometer Steps Calorie and Distance Calculator: Find how many calories you burn and how far you have walked based on pedometer step counts.
Walking Pace Calculator: Find your walking speed in miles per hour or kilometers per hour.
Body Mass Index Calculator: Find your BMI and see whether you rank as normal, overweight or obese.
Ideal Weight Calculator: Find your ideal weight based on your height.
These calculator scripts were written by Will Glessner
Kline GM, Porcari JP, Hintermeister R, Freedson PS, Ward A, McCarron RF, Ross J, Rippe JM. "Estimation of VO2 max from a one mile track walk, gender, age and body weight." Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 19, p. 253-259.
Weiglein L, Herrick J, Kirk S, Kirk EP. "The 1-Mile Walk Test is a Valid Predictor of VO2max and is a Reliable Alternative Fitness Test to the 1.5-Mile Run in US Air Force Males." Military Medicine 2011 Jun;176 (6), p. 669-673
Castro-Piñero J, Artero EG, España-Romero V, Ortega FB, Sjöström M, Suni J, Ruiz JR."Criterion-related validity of field-based fitness tests in youth: a systematic review." British Journal of Sports Medicine. 2010 Oct;44(13):934-43. doi: 10.1136/bjsm.2009.058321. Epub 2009 Apr 12.