May do this workout 1-3 times per week, alternating with an easier walk day or a rest day.
Increases your athletic performance by bringing your body up to the anaerobic threshold. It is used by racewalkers to improve their VO2 maximum (the highest amount of oxygen one can consume during exercise). Improves endurance at speed.
• Start at an easy pace for 5-10 minutes.
• Stop and do a stretching and flexibility routine for 5 minutes. Stretches
• Continue, walking at a pace that brings your heartrate up to 80-92% of MHR for no more than 50 minutes. You can also use the variation below. Heartrate Calculator
• This is a fast pace where you are breathing very hard and can only speak in short phrases.
• End with 5 minutes of gentle stretching and flexibility exercises. Stretches
Variation (After warm up and stretching)
Threshold Workout #1 - Speed
• Walk fast for 8 minutes or 1 kilometer at 85-92% of your max heart rate.
• Then slow down to an easy pace for 2 minutes.
• Repeat this for 3-4 repetitions.
Next > Economy (Speed) Walk