Indoors vs. OutdoorsPros:
- Climate control - no rain, wind, cold, heat.
- Safety - no traffic, muggers, trail hazards.
- Multi-tasking: read, watch TV, listen to music, monitor family.
- Treadmill workouts burn as many calories as walking outdoors.
- Does not train balance muscles as well as walking on an uneven surface, negotiating curbs, etc. This is important as we age, it helps prevent falls and broken hips.
- Boredom factor higher than with outdoor workouts.
- Treadmill Hill Workouts
- Treadmill High Intensity Workouts
- Jumping Intervals on the Treadmill
- Treadmill-Dumbbell Workout
- Treadmill Workouts E-Mail Course - Free
- Health Walk/Easy Day Walk
- Fat-Burning Walking Workout
- Aerobic Walking Workout
- Threshold Walking Workout
- Economy Speed-Building Walking Workout
20 Best Treadmill Workouts Dave McGovern in Walking Magazine describes how to get a good indoor workout.
How to Beat Treadmill Boredom Stay entertained while working out.
Zeni AI, Hoffman MD, Clifford PS. "Energy expenditure with indoor exercise machines." JAMA. 1996 May 8;275(18):1424-7.
Moyna NM, Robertson RJ, Meckes CL, Peoples JA, Millich NB, Thompson PD. Intermodal comparison of energy expenditure at exercise intensities corresponding to the perceptual preference range." Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2001 Aug;33(8):1404-10.