The Bottom Line
Nature's miracle fabric, wool, in well-designed socks.
- Natural wool
- Itch-free and shrink-free
- Natural insulation and moisture control
- Some will still be sensitive to wool
- Crew sock length with medium padding for hiking shoes or boots.
- Thin, flat instep for more breatheability.
- Elastic in the arch helps support the arch and provide snug fit.
Guide Review - Smartwool Light Hiker Socks
Smartwool promises a better wool sock. You can wash them in the washing machine and dry them in the dryer because they will not shrink. They also are made of itch-less wool. However, I must confess that I did feel some itchiness after several hours (I am especially sensitive to wool). Meanwhile, our gear advisor Richard Bumgardner loves these socks. These light hikers are designed for wearing with hiking shoes or boots. They provide superior natural moisture control and temperature control.