The Best Way to Burn More Calories: Walk FartherThe farther you walk, the more calories you burn. The easiest way to burn more calories is simply to walk farther. Concentrate your training on building distance before you build speed. Gradually increase the amount of time you walk each day, with a goal of being able to walk for 30 to 60 minutes at a time. Aim to walk five or six days each week. Walking Distance Calorie Calculator
Burn Calories While You SleepYou can burn more calories even while sleeping by building up muscle. When you add muscle to your body, you are increasing your basal metabolic rate, which is the the number of calories you burn each day at rest. If you are new to walking, you will be building leg muscle. For a balanced exercise program, you should also tone and build muscle with strength training workouts two to three days per week.
- Absolute Beginner Walkers: You will build leg muscles as you increase your walking time and distance. Concentrate on increasing the amount of time you spend walking.
30 Day Quick Start Guide for Beginners
- Seasoned Walkers: For those who have been walking for months or years, you will need to alter your walking style to build more muscle just from walking. The racewalking technique uses and builds more muscles than regular walking. By learning to racewalk, you would be building new muscle and burning more calories per mile.
- Not Interested in Racewalking: For those who are not interested in racewalking to build muscle, you should add strength training to your weekly exercise schedule in addition to walking in order to build muscle. Do strength training workouts two to three days per week.
Burn More Walking Calories per Mile
- Learn to Racewalk: At speeds over 13-minute mile rate you are burning more calories per mile as you use more muscle groups, as well as building muscle.
How to Walk Faster.
- Use Walking Poles: Fitness walking poles are an option for those who cannot walk fast and want to burn more calories per mile. They add an upper body workout when used with the Nordic Walking or Exerstriding techniques.
How to walk with walking poles
- Carry Extra Weight: I do not recommend doing this, as extra pounds mean extra strain on your joints. But if you do it, you should add no more than 10 pounds and wear it in a backpack, weight vest or at your hips so your body can remain balanced and your posture is not thrown off. Walking with poor posture or adding weight to your arms or legs can lead to injury.
For the best success in losing weight, know how many calories you are eating as well as how many you are burning in exercise.
Track Your Food Calories to Lose Weight
Next Page > How Fast to Walk to Lose Weight