How Long Should You Walk Each Day?
Walking continuously for 30 minutes or more is best for fat-burning. At a brisk walking pace, you will cover a distance of 1.5 to 2 miles or 2.5 to 3.3 kilometers in 30 minutes.
Walk most days of the week for at least 30 minutes to burn an extra 1000 to 3000 calories per week and to improve your metabolism each day.
- A walking workout of 30 to 60 minutes at 50-70% of your maximum heart rate is recommended for walking for weight loss. Use the Target Heart Rate Calculator to find the right heart rate, which varies by age.
- Start with walking at an easy pace for 5-10 minutes.
- Stop and do some stretches and flexibility exercises.
- Walk at a brisk pace at your target heart rate for 30-60 minutes.
- Cool down at a slower pace for 5 minutes.
- Finish with some gentle stretches.
- For longer walks, walk 30-60 minutes at your target heart rate and slow a bit to complete 90 or 120 minutes at a comfortable pace.
- Maximize your 30-minute walk
What if I Can't Walk for 30 Minutes?
- Start with the Beginners Walking Tutorial or our daily Let's Get Walking 4-Week Beginners Course to build up your time and endurance.
- If your schedule doesn't permit walking continuously for 30 minutes, break it up into walking twice or three times a day for shorter periods of at least 10 minutes at a brisk pace. Always warm up for 5 minutes at an easy pace no matter what duration you will be walking.
- Mazimize Your 15-Minute Walk
How Long Should I Walk Each Week?
- For weight loss, walk most days of the week.
- Time spent walking per week should be 5-10 hours.
- On your non-walking days, try some strength training exercises.
- If you find yourself worn out, take a day off. But be sure to get back walking the following day.
Next Page > Walking Workout Schedule for Weight Loss