You will get the most benefits of fat-burning when you walk continuously for 30 minutes or more, which will cover 1.5 to 2 miles at a brisk walking pace. Walk most days of the week to burn an extra 1000 to 3000 calories per week and to improve your metabolism each day.
- A walking workout of 30 to 60 minutes at 50-70% of your maximum heart rate is recommended for weight loss walkers. Use the Target Heart Rate Calculator to find the right heart rate, which varies by age.
- Start with walking at an easy pace for 5-10 minutes.
- Stop and do some stretches and flexibility exercises.
- Walk at a brisk pace at your target heart rate for 30-60 minutes.
- Cool down at a slower pace for 5 minutes.
- Finish with some gentle stretches.
- For longer walks, walk 30-60 minutes at your target heart rate and slow a bit to complete 90 or 120 minutes at a comfortable pace.
- Maximize your 30-minute walk
What if I Can't Walk for 30 Minutes?
- Start with the Beginners Walking Tutorial or our daily Let's Get Walking 4-Week Beginners Course to build up your time and endurance.
- If your schedule doesn't permit it, break it up into walking twice or three times a day for shorter periods of at least 10 minutes at a brisk pace. Always warm up for 5 minutes at an easy pace no matter what duration you will be walking.
- Mazimize Your 15-Minute Walk
How Often Should I Walk?
- For weight loss, walk most days of the week.
- Time spent walking per week should be 5-10 hours.
- On your non-walking days, try some strength training exercises.
- If you find yourself worn out, take a day off. But be sure to get back walking the following day.
Next Page >
Walking Schedule for Weight Loss