A candy bar equals three to five miles worth of walking. A Big Mac is worth six miles or a 10K race. If you have fallen into eating habits where you are taking in more calories per day than you use, you will not lose weight.
Calories Burned Per Day - Calculator
Calculate how many calories you burn off each day.
To lose weight steadily, you need to eat fewer calories per day than you burn off. For most women, that is a 1200-calories per day diet, and for men and active women a diet of 1500 to 1600 calories. At that calorie level, you should lose about a pound per week.
1200 and 1500 Calorie Diet Guidelines
Most of us are not aware of how much we really eat per day. Make a food diary for a week and take a look. Make small changes and add them up to get lifetime results.
Calorie Count: Use our free online calorie tracker to find the calories and nutrition in the food you eat. You can also use it as an app. Analyze your food choices and track your diet and exercise.
- Eat the foods you enjoy but in smaller portions.
- Replace processed snack foods with vegetables and fruit.
- Eat 5-10 servings of fruits and vegetables per day.
- Restaurant portions are two to four times the amount you should eat at one meal. Eat out less often, and take home half of the food on the plate when you do.
- Make changes you can live with the rest of your life. Try new foods and new recipes. Eat to live.
Fit and Fat
When you walk six hours a week, you achieve better fitness and decrease your chance of heart disease, breast cancer, stroke, and diabetes. Medical research shows that disease attributed to obesity is in many cases caused by inactivity rather than just being overweight. Enjoy life better at any weight by maintaining your active lifestyle.
Next Page > How Fast to Walk to Burn Fat