Most running and outdoors stores do not stock athletic clothing above size XL or women's size 14-16. The blame lies not so much with the stores as with the manufacturers, who simply don't produce their items in plus sizes.
Active People are Plus Size, Too!The percentage of the population in Europe and America who wear plus sizes is significant and increasing. Walking event coordinators know that Large, XL and XXL shirts are in more demand for walkers than small and medium. Walking is a sport that attracts those who want to become active or stay active at any size.
Performance Fabrics Needed for Plus Size ActivewearPlus size people need good performance clothing. Performance fabrics wick away sweat, which helps prevent chafing and keeps you feeling more dry and comfortable throughout your walk. I have shed my cotton t-shirts and jeans or canvas pants in favor of the modern sweat-wicking fabrics.
Where to Look for Plus Size Active ClothingUnfortunately, it is difficult to find plus size activewear in technical fabrics at major chains. You can find a large selection of plus size cotton and cotton blend tops at Target and Old Navy. The venerable outdoors store L.L. Bean has plus size jackets in their Women's line. Champion Plus makes a small range of plus size activewear. But I see the widest range of selection from Junonia, which designs and manufactures its own plus size activewear in performance fabrics.
Top Picks for Plus Size Walking Clothing
- Plus Size Warm Weather Tops: These include short-sleeve, sleeveless, cami and sport bra tops to wear when the weather is warm or for those who always feel warm walking.
- Plus Size Cold Weather Tops and Outerwear: This selection includes jackets, vests, and long-sleeved tops to wear layered in cooler weather.
- Plus Size Walking Shorts: These selections include bike style compression shorts, running shorts, cargo shorts, and some fun double-layer shorts and skirts that combat chafing while providing more coverage.
- Plus Size Walking Pants: Selections for walking pants to keep you moving comfortably.
- Plus Size Walking Clothing Index