Time to reassess your goals. You may have started this winter setting a goal to be able to walk a mile or two, and now that is a breeze. Or you may have started with the lofty goal of doing a marathon, but now believe that is out of reach. Time to set new, realistic goals.
The essentials of a good fitness goal are:
- Realistic: The goal should be challenging, but realistically achievable. Don't set you sights too low, but also don't set yourself up for failure.
- Measurable: Your goal should be stated in a way that can be measured. How many miles a week? How many pounds or inches to lose? What 10K distance time? Finishing a marathon by what date?
- Dated: Set dates by which you will attain the goal and intermediate goals along the way.
- Written down: Your goal should be made concrete so you can review it.
- Track your progress: Keep your goal in sight and see what steps you are making towards attaining it.
- Celebrate success: Along the way when you reach new milestones, it is time to celebrate. And when you achieve your overall goals, don't hold back - reward yourself.