The Bottom Line
The Nike + iPod Sport Kit is a fun way to record your walking or running workouts and get real-time audible updates while you walk or run. This kit includes the shoe pedometer meant to be used in Nike+ ready shoes, which transmits to the included adapter that works only with the iPod nano. You can upload your workout data to a personal log on the Nikeplus.com web site. The distance, speed, and calories will only be estimates based on step data.
- Piezo-electric pedometer in shoe transmits step data to iPod Nano
- Receive audible updates on your speed, distance,and calories burned.
- Upload your data to view charts.
- Download workouts to your iPod nano.
- Works only with iPod nano, no other iPod or MP3 player.
- Designed only for Nike+ ready shoes.
- Distance, speed, and calories are only estimates.
- Nike+ sensor pedometer fits under insole of Nike+ ready shoes. Waterproof.
- Pedometer senses motion and records steps, transmits it to iPod nano adapter.
- iPod nano adapter fits only iPod nano, receives step and speed information from the sensor.
- iPod can give audible updates on speed, distance, and calories burned.
- View performance summary on the iPod nano screen.
- Upload workout data to the Nikeplus.com web site to personal log.
- It is possible to tape the sensor to other shoes, with some ingenuity.
- Not to be used for total daily steps, but only for dedicated workouts.
Guide Review - Nike + iPod Sport Kit
The Nike + iPod Sport Kit allows Nike+ ready footwear to communicate with the Apple iPod® nano through a sensor in the Nike+ footwear and a receiver plugged into the nano. As you walk or run, you can get audible and visual updates on speed, distance and calories burned. Once you get home, you can upload your workout data to the nikeplus.com web site to your personal training log. Music downloads and workout tools will be available through the web site.
Nike+ Sensor Pedometer
The Nike+ sensor pedometer is an advanced piezo-electric pedometer. It is completely sealed, waterproof and durable. However, the battery cannot be replaced, so once it goes dead in about 1000 miles, you will need to buy another Nike + iPod Sport Kit to replace it. The sensor is meant only to be used on dedicated workouts, not for total daily steps.
What You Need to Make it Work
- The Nike + iPod Sport Kit includes the pedometer sensor and the adapter for an iPod nano.
- A pair of Nike+ ready shoes.
- iPod nano
- Computer: Mac® with a USB 2.0 and Mac OS® X version 10.3.9 or later and iTunes 6.0.5; or a Windows PC with a USB 2.0 port and Windows 2000, XP Home or Professional (SP2) and iTunes 6.0.5.
Nike+ Ready Shoes
Nike is introducing the Nike Air Zoom Moire+ and the Nike Air Zoom Plus+, the first of six styles of footwear that will be Nike+ ready by the end of July, 2006.