Here are 10 smart, practical and super easy tips that can help you stay active during this joyous time of year:
1. Pedometer: Get yourself a pedometer quick and wear it every day. This inexpensive tool is a terrific motivator. It helps you keep up with exactly how much you are actually moving. You also might be covering more ground than you expected. Being able to monitor your movement will help you to move even more. Many people feel that if they see actual numbers, it's more like concrete evidence of what you are accomplishing. Try adding 500 extra steps the next day. This is equivalent to about 5 minutes of steady walking.
Top Picks for Pedometers
2. Chores on Foot: Resist the urge to delegate any household tasks which involve walking, such as getting the mail, walking the dog, taking out the trash, or simply fetching something from the car. Asking the kids or your spouse to do it may seem quicker and easier sometimes, but it doesn't help your pedometer reach its goal!
3. Decorate with Added Steps: When putting up and taking down the Christmas tree and other seasonal decorations, leave the box of trinkets and ornaments on the opposite side of the room. Walk to the box for each item then back to where it will go. All that back and forth really adds up and doesn't take much extra time.
4. Cooking on the March: While cooking or baking those delectable holiday treats for your friends and family, consider jogging or simply marching in place while the timer ticks away. Those minutes will soon pass and you will have made extra use of them!
Healthy Holiday Recipes
5. Park Farthest from the Door of the Shops You Visit: I made this a habit and now I cringe at the thought of parking close up. Not only do you add steps to your day going in and back out of the store, you are saving time not having to search for a space AND you will save your car from being hit by carts or other car doors. So many advantages to this one!