Makes 2 servings - each 1/2 of the pizza.
Per Serving: approximately 340 calories
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 4 ready-to-bake refrigerated biscuits (1 oz each)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced red or green bell peppers (or mixed)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- A dash of black pepper
- 2 oz. shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan or asiago cheese
1. Combine the 4 biscuits and roll them out between two sheets of wax paper to form one circle 8 inches in diameter, removing the paper.
2. Place the dough into a 7-inch pie pan, prick the bottom and sides of the dough with a fork.
3. Bake 8-10 minutes until lightly browned.
1. While that is baking, begin creating the sauce. Sauté the peppers and onions in the oil until soft.
2. Add the tomato sauce, oregano, basil, and pepper and cook until it thickens.
3. Pour the sauce onto the baked crust.
4. Top with the cheeses and bake until the cheese is melted, 10-15 minutes.
Variations: To this basic cheese pizza, you can add most anything, but be aware of what will add calories vs. items that will add nutrition.
Meats: If you must have meat, Canadian bacon is leaner than pepperoni, etc.
Vegetables: Go wild with veggies. Try different combinations such as broccoli, water-packed artichoke hearts, jalapeno peppers, summer squash, zucchini, extra red and bell peppers and onions for the topping. Vegetables will add nutrition without adding many calories.
You may find you like the vegetables on top of the cheese or below the cheese.