May be done daily, or used as a recovery day for those alternating with other walking workouts. Those wanting to lose body fat should do this walk most days of the week.
This workout gets the body to use stored fat for energy. At 60-70% of your maximum heart rate, 85% of your calories burned are fats. Walking faster or slower burns a smaller percentage of fat.
Fat Burning Walking Workout
- Start at an easy pace for 10 minutes (this burns off the stored blood sugar and glycogen and tells the body to get ready to burn fat.)
- Stop and do a stretching and flexibility routine for 5 minutes. Stretches
- Walk 30-60 minutes at a pace that brings your heart rate up to 60-70% of your maximum heart rate (MHR). Heartrate Calculator
- This is a comfortable pace where you can speak in full sentences although you will be breathing harder than usual.
- Cool down with 5-10 minutes at an easy pace.
- End with 5 minutes of gentle stretching and flexibility exercises.
- Before You Buy a Heart Rate Monitor
Next > Distance Walking Workout