The Bottom Line
Basing its energy on complex carbohydrates and keeping simple sugars low, Carb-BOOM is much more refreshing than the cloying, intense sugar goo of most energy gels. Give it a try, you may love it.
- Natural fruit flavors
- Complex carbohydrate maltodextrin 90% for energy
- Not as sweet-tasting as other energy gels
- 90% maltodextrin complex carbohydrate from corn starch, 10% simple sugars glucose and fructose.
- Only slightly sweet with natural flavorings. 107 calories, 27 grams carbohydrate, 0 fat per packet.
- Vanilla Orange, Strawberry Kiwi, Banana Peach, and Apple Cinnamon in 1.4 ounce foil packets.
Guide Review - Carb-BOOM Energy Gel
For long walks, runs, and bikes, an energy gel provides quick energy replacement without chewing. Carb-BOOM is the answer for the many people who hate the overly-sugary taste of most energy gels. By using mostly complex carbohydrates with just a small amount of simple sugars, Carb-BOOM is only mildly sweet. That doesn't reduce the need to drink 8-10 ounces of water when taking a packet of Carb-BOOM, but it doesn't make you feel like you need to wash it out of your mouth like some other gels do. Carb-BOOM uses mostly low glycemic-index carbs, but diabetics should still consult with their doctor about safe usage. The Vanilla Orange flavor has caffeine, about the same as half a cup of coffee. All have natural fruit flavors.