How to Walk Safely
Time Required: 5 minutes
- Wear brightly colored clothing in the day.
- Wear reflective clothing and carry a flashlight at night.
- Walk on path separated from traffic whenever possible.
- Walk on the side of the road opposing traffic when there is no separate sidewalk.
- At intersections, make sure drivers acknowledge you before entering the crosswalk.
- Walk with a friend or dog to reduce chance of robbery/attack.
- Carry identification and health information card.
- If you carry a personal defense weapon, take ongoing training and stay within the local laws.
- Watch for tripping hazards, traffic, suspicious persons.
- Don't wear headphones.
- Vary your route and time of day you walk.
- Note businesses, etc. along your path where you can seek assistance when needed in the future.
- Carry a cell phone.
- Give wide berth to dogs, on leash or off.
- If uncomfortable walking outdoors alone, find a walking group or club to walk with.
- Consider walking indoors at the mall, local track, or treadmilling at home or at the gym.
What You Need
- reflective clothing
- cell phone