Source: ADAM Medical Encyclopedia
- Stop: Stop what you were doing that caused the injury.
- Rest: Get off your feet, take the weight off the affected limb.
- Ice: Apply an icebag wrapped in a cloth to the affected area for 20 minutes every two hours. Don't apply ice directly to the skin. If all you have is a cold stream to soak it in, that is also good.
- Compression: Wrap the area in an ace bandage.
- Elevation: Raise the affected limb to a level above your heart.
- Anti-inflammatory drugs: Take ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, etc.) to bring down inflammation.
- When to see the doctor: See the doctor if there is significant swelling, stabbing or radiating pain, numbness, or the limb appears deformed.
What You Need
- ice bag
- ace bandage