- Base layer: polypropylene (Capilene, Thermion, Thermax and Thermastat) or silk undershirt and longjohns.
- Insulating layer: shirt and pants of wool, fleece, pile, or down.
- Outer layer: Windproof and water-resistant jacket worn loosely.
- Avoid cotton as it does not wick sweat and will cool you rapidly if it gets wet.
- Hat to insulate head and retain heat.
- Gloves or mittens.
- Scarf or neck gaiter.
- Chapstick and sunscreen to protect skin and lips.
- Warm up longer at a moderate pace before switching to your fast pace.
- Remove layers as you warm up.
- Drink 8 oz. of water every 15-30 minutes while walking.
- You will warm up more than you think you will while walking, plan how to carry your shed layers.
- If it is windy, try to arrange your route into the wind outbound and returning with the wind at your back.
What You Need
- wicking base layer
- fleece or wool layer