1. Health

Wendy Bumgardner

Plantar Warts and Duct Tape?

By October 31, 2006

It's plantar warts, not planters warts. These are warts on the bottom of your foot, where they can cause pain with each step. Our ADAM medical encyclopedia has an interesting suggestion for plantar wart self-treatment - duct tape! That's twice in a week I've had experts recommend duct tape on your feet. And here I was, only using it to put up walking event route arrows. They strongly recommend not to try to remove the plantar wart yourself by "burning, cutting, tearing, picking, or any other method." But you can try the duct tape or go see a doctor to have it frozen or burnt off professionally. Drawing of plantar warts.

But hold onto that roll of duct tape! A new study was published just days after I first wrote this post that found that duct tape had no more effect than putting a corn pad over the wart (considered to be the sham or placebo treatment). And, as I suspected, some of the children in the study reported itches and rashes from the duct tape, but not the corn pads. I'd say the jury is still out on using duct tape on warts. I'd far rather use a corn pad - something meant to be used on the foot, rather than something that hasn't been tested for provoking skin reactions. Of course, neither of these may have any effect at all.

• Warts: A plantar wart is just like any other wart, it's just where it is - on the sole of your foot. Our Dermatology Guide has the scoop on warts.
  • Wart Basics: Dr. Vince also tells about the duct tape method for wart removal, from our Pediatrics Guide.
  • Duct Tape Wart Study I: Focht DR III, et al. "The efficacy of duct tape vs cryotherapy in the treatment of verruca vulgaris (the common wart)." Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med October 2002;156:971-4.
  • Duct Tape Wart Study II: Marloes de Haen, MD, et. al. "Efficacy of Duct Tape vs Placebo in the Treatment of Verruca Vulgaris (Warts) in Primary School Children." Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. November, 2006;160:1121-1125.

Join my Facebook Group

Comments
November 1, 2006 at 3:27 pm
(1) remlap says:

The duct tape does work. It took a few weeks of daily application but the wart did go away

November 1, 2006 at 4:09 pm
(2) Wendy B. says:

Good to know, remlap!
The thing is that duct tape is made with a large variety of fibers and, probably, adhesive. So, if you find a roll that doesn’t irritate your skin, best to stick with that roll. There is huge variability from lot to lot even of the same brand.

Makes duct tape easy to identify and track if you use it to commit a crime. Moral of the story: use it cautiously on the feet, but never use it in the commission of a crime.

November 3, 2006 at 5:48 am
(3) newbiewalker says:

In addition crushed garlic applied directly to the wart and covered with band aid will remove the wart. Reapply until wart visibly diminishes. It also works to get whatever causes the warts out the system and other warts will go away without applying it to them. May burn for a while and cause temporary discoloration but it works and it is cheaper than burning and freezing. Banana peels work too but are oftn too messy and hard to apply.

February 12, 2007 at 8:45 pm
(4) sherrie says:

Duct tape DOES work! I am a RN..I had a HUGE..mosaic plantar wart on my foot. It covered an area 2.5 in x 2.5 in… the MD’s wanted to burn it out without guarantee OR give me some drug that suppress my immune system.. I did duct tape and gentle shaving VERY carefully over a period of 6 months and as of today it is almost gone. SG greatlife53@yahoo.com

March 2, 2008 at 10:38 am
(5) Linda says:

A few years ago I started getting plantar’s warts. Tried the duct tape cure and it’s worked for me every time. Apply duct tape, pull it if off after about 3 days and the wart comes off too, roots and all.

April 14, 2008 at 12:20 am
(6) Darlene says:

Duct tape DOES work. My daughter is an athlete (hockey player) and is spends many hours in stinky, disgusting dressing rooms. Despite her best efforts to avoid infection like wearing sandals all the time, she got warts on the bottom of her feet. After many expensive drug store treatments and many visits to the doctor for liquid nitrogen treatments, we tried DUCT TAPE…and in less than a week, the warts have almost vanished. These were huge, painful warts that by wearing a patch of cheap duct tape has almost eradicated them. The first few days were a little uncomfortable as the wart was being “smothered” by the tape and seemed to fight back. We have won the battle and the discomfort has passed. My daughter said the discomfort was nothing in comparison to the post nitrogen pain. Grab a roll and save a bundle of cash and time.

July 15, 2008 at 12:02 pm
(7) Mia says:

My crazy Polish grandmother used to get plantar warts and what her mother used to do for her is crush a teaspoon-worth the “most potent” onion, “strongest” vinegar, combine it in half a shell of a walnut and bandage this concoction on top of the wart every night and wash and bandage during the day. This might take anywhere from days to weeks but she swears by it.
She tried this on my foot and it stunk so bad I just quit doing it and went to the doctor who lasered it off. But now it’s back after 5 years and I’m having it lasered off again. Doc said the first time they didn’t get all the virus out so it was dormant for 5 years. If I get it again, which I might, I’d like to try the duct tape route, although I’m not the most patient person, sounds like it works for a lot of people.

February 12, 2009 at 11:10 am
(8) Nicole J says:

I’d have to say..duct tape DOES NOT work. I have tried it for many constant months.. It stopped some pain..but is still there. by the way, I have had my painful wart for 9 years and its grown into 5 warts. Not to happy.

April 20, 2009 at 2:11 am
(9) Tauqeer says:

hi,
i have plantar since 1 year,its was just1 on feet and spread in to 4 points i went to doc he advised for laser treatment i did that,but naow after 4months it spread agin in to 6 more points on foot,it pain,i am very much upset with it,by searching treatment on internet i got the use of duc tape i will start it from to day and also aply a medicen named DUOFILM,from Stiefels.lets see what happens,i hope and pray for the Best,

April 22, 2009 at 4:23 pm
(10) Chance says:

I had a plantars wart for over 13 years on the ball of my right foot which made walking early in the morning and late at night very painful but i dealt with it. I had it cut out and burned off but it always came back a couple weeks later. I heard about the duct tape treatment and tried it. I would put a piece of duct tape on everymorning and wear it until the next morning and take it off, shower, then put another one on. Did that for 8 weeks and the wart was completely gone for good..its been 9 months now. BTW the first few days with the duct tape made my wart hurt more than usual, but after that was fine. Enjoy :)

May 26, 2009 at 8:01 pm
(11) Julianne says:

I have had a pretty good sized plantar wart on my foot for about 3 months. At first I had no clue what this callouse(sp) like thing was doing on my heel. As an athlete I was running at least 3 times a week and had related it to running but after much research (and pain) I found out it was a plantar wart. I also found out that it was from the showers that I use after I get done with my swim workout. I had bought sond Compound W Plantar wart pads and used them for awhile but they havent worked and I am getting fustrated. I had a friend who is a dancer and she told me about the duct tape method and was skeptical at first but now as I am typing this I have duct tape on my heel! The warts have spread though from my heel to my toes (gross I know) but I am calling the doctor for help. I know it will be a long process but my walk has changed because of the wart and because of the pain that it has caused me. I also would like to metion that my wart (once again get ready for some gross) has been bleeding a lot (at least 4 times a week). I am fustrated and hope that the duct tape works.

June 2, 2009 at 4:22 pm
(12) David says:

I really, REALLY hope this duct tape method works. I’m going to try it today, but I’m sceptical. I’ve had plantar’s warts for years and years, and I’ve had them surgically cut off, with a wide margin around the growth itself, AND IT STILL CAME BACK! I’ve had them cut off A SECOND TIME, and the growths STILL CAME BACK! I have had tremendous non-success with my plantar’s warts and I’m open to any new suggesstion, and the duct-tape method is what keeps popping up via online searches and message boards. The opening to this site says it doesn’t work, but ALMOST ALL OF THE COMMENTS SWEAR BY IT! I will definitaly start trying it today, and in a few months I will testify to it again on this same message board. Thanks for the insight, and God willing I hope it works..

June 11, 2009 at 3:11 am
(13) douglife says:

I found that certain duct tapes worked while others didn’t. The one that got rid of my first plantar wart was black duck brand duct tape. That wart has been gone for a few years now.
I have had a second wart that hasn’t bothered me until recently. Today I grabbed a roll of tape from my car and stuck it on there. Seems to be working just after 6 hours

July 5, 2009 at 12:29 pm
(14) Rob says:

The tape works. I pulled this link off of original page.

July 30, 2009 at 11:14 pm
(15) Judy says:

My primary care physician recommended this treatment and it works. The expensive over the counter treatment was a waste of money. Buy duct tape. Another IT works! vote here and now a happy camper. Woo HOO

August 7, 2009 at 5:46 pm
(16) Nancy says:

Just read the posts about plantar warts and duct tape. Well, I went to a foot dr. (podiatrist) and he put some kind of acid on the wart and then said to put a small piece of duct tape on it daily…removing the peice from the day before and then putting a new piece on everyday. It takes some patience. The first time I was to do it for 30 days and them come in for him to check it. It did NOT work the first time so he re-applied the acid and has me doing the duct tape daily again for another 30 days. I will go back in about 1-2 weeks but I think it is going away. Sounds like it’s less painfull than other treatments so I’ll glad we went this route.

August 7, 2009 at 5:50 pm
(17) Nancy says:

I think shaving it down as much as possible to remove what callous (sp)has built up also help when using the duct tape because then the wart can be suffocated by the duct tape. I bought a shaving tool that you can get in the foot and nail care section of a store like wal-mart,target or Fred Meyer. Be carefull not to hurt yourself though. They are really sharp blades!

August 12, 2009 at 11:09 pm
(18) Steph says:

Duct tape worked for me! No lie. I also applied garlic to the area every few days, and took odorless garlic pills in large quantities. I honestly believe the combination of garlic and duct tape got rid of the huge plantar wart I had. It took about 3 weeks, so don’t get discouraged!

August 20, 2009 at 10:54 am
(19) D Iverson says:

My son had a wart when he was about 10. we tried over the counter methods, didnt work. we went to the dr and he froze it off.. came back even worse with several surrounding the original wart. we went back to the Dr. he said, I’m going to give you a paper. it explains how to use Duct tape. I’ve never tried it but maybe it will work. we tried it and w/in 2 weeks it went away and has never returned. Never again will i use the over the counter and frozen methods again!!

August 20, 2009 at 10:31 pm
(20) Glenda says:

Duct tape worked for me, and it did because it cuts off the oxygen supply to the wart, I have read in a science journal:)

October 7, 2009 at 10:43 am
(21) Bethie says:

I had a plantar wart for many years. I had it surgically removed twice, and both times it grew right back! I also tried all the over the counter methods and it didn’t seem to work. Finally I tried a new podiatrist who told me to buy Trans Ver Sal pads (he said they are the best, I had to buy them over the internet) and apply the pads with duct tape (shaving down the area to get rid of the dead skin). I was skeptical but I gave it a try and believe it or not, the plantar wart I had for 10 years finally went away!

February 9, 2010 at 10:39 pm
(22) j.r. says:

while duct tape alone may work for some, it didnt for me (i think mainly because im on my feet most the day and mosture managed to always get under the tape). i changed my plan and added sialic acid (you can buy this anywhere) over the wart then applyed duct tape over that. added the sialic acid and fresh tape each night before bed. after about 2-3 weeks my wart came off, and i couldnt be happier. this after enduring great pain for 8-9 monthes or so.

April 5, 2010 at 10:25 pm
(23) susan says:

It works!!! I had a very painful planter wart on my foot and had tried every over-the-counter treatment. In desperation, I tried the duct tape method. After 48 hours, I knew something different was happening! Replace the tape twice a day, and you will be wart free. Mine was completely gone in less than two weeks. I don’t know why it works…but it does!

April 7, 2010 at 11:58 am
(24) tori says:

I’ve had this wart on my foot for I think 7-8 years. It’s not super huge – maybe 1/3″ in diameter. The thing hurts sometimes and usually in non-sandal season I will buy the over-the-counter stuff for $20 or more per box, use them up, then start another. The skin comes off and the wart will hurt less but it never seems to get smaller. Lately it’s been hurting a little more when I have the salicylic acid on it but I’m persistent. It seems like all the surrounding skin is gone (I try to shave that off now and again) so only the wart remains. I’m not sure if I should now switch to duct tape. I’m scared of the dr and don’t want to have a painful removal. Also I’m considering freezing it with the over-thecounter stuff. The wart is white and I feel it is at it’s most vulnerable! (Yes, I did just personify the jerk).
Any thoughts?

April 21, 2010 at 9:58 pm
(25) Paula says:

My 7 year old daughter has had a huge plantar wart on her heel for several months. We first tried treating it at home. We tried salicylic acid (Compound W). This had NO effect on it. Then we tried Compound W freeze away. This removed the top layers (callused skin) but the huge wart still remained mostly unaffected after 2 or 3 treatments. So I took her to our family doctor, thinking he would freeze it. He said to use duct tape! He said the OTC freeze stuff is not nearly strong enough to work like what he would use, but he doesn’t freeze warts on children as it is painful. I’ll keep you posted on results.

April 22, 2010 at 11:00 pm
(26) Lou says:

After freezing my Planter wart and not having any success, my doctor suggested these deep needle injections with stuff they use for cancer treatments. I say no way and now I’m looking at duct tape. I can’t imagine how much that would hurt, not to mention how expensive it would be!

May 17, 2010 at 3:59 pm
(27) karissa says:

DUCT TAPE TOTALLY TOOK OFF 8 OR SO WARTS IN LESS THAN A WEEK. one of the warts “the mother” was almost 10 yrs old- never bothered me until it quickly multiplied. i went to the foot doctor and he said i would need 10 or so treatments to remove my warts. the first treatment was painful and left my foot black and ugly and sensitive. i remembered a girl told me about duct tape so i used that instead WITH TINAMED. it literally peeled off my warts within a week and my feet looked and felt like baby feet after for the first time in 10 yrs. USE WITH TINAMED cuz that helps kill the dead layer off first. Apply the tinamed and the duct tape after you get out of the shower (so it is raised and clean). I AM NOW DOING THIS TREATMENT FOR THE SECOND TIME and it actually hurts a little this time and its been three days already and it seems that maybe its working slower—SO ALSO GET THE GOOD DUCT TAPE-BLACK- cuz i think this dollar store brand takes longer. oh and use enough and put it on real tight cuz what its doing is actually SUFFOCATING the wart and then the STICK to help the PEELING.

June 8, 2010 at 9:13 am
(28) Wart says:

You willfind information about all types of warts, including Common warts, Flat warts, Plantar and Genital warts. You will find information about some of the available treatments and we will introduce you to Dermasil, an effective topical treatment for warts of ALL types. It is available for purchase through this site.

July 9, 2010 at 10:52 pm
(29) LMR says:

Daughter had a very larger (bigger than quarter, smaller than fifty cent piece) size plantar wart on heel. Came on very quickly and grew quickly…after two scrapings and liquid nitrogen with Pediatrician went to Podiatrist and scheduled laser surgery for end of summer but asked about duct tape as I had “heard” then read about it….He said the theory is that it suffocates the wart and why not give it a try to see if it at least would shrink the wart so the open wound would not be so large…so applied compound W then put pink tie die colored duct tape over top of it daily and within 10 days we have almost wiped the thing out…really just one itty bitty small spot left and just a large red/pink circle of fresh new skin where the wart once was with one small spot left to go…no more pain, no more hard spot, no more black spots, etc.! Go figure!

July 16, 2010 at 5:49 pm
(30) Kim says:

Well I have a plantars wart under my big toe which has now had given birth to a baby right beside it. I have just started the duct tape today and find that the wart sometimes burns and am hoping that this is the beginning of it working.

September 7, 2010 at 10:51 am
(31) sonikh says:

After a couple of years with growing out-of-control plantar warts on my big and second toes, my wife set an appointment with a doctor. BIG MISTAKE!!! He gave me a prescription for stomach ulcers that apparently helps with warts and also applied and acid that left me in a miserable state for 3 days in a row and with blisters for over a week! The side effects of the prescription were not good either. I stopped the prescription and changed doctors. This new one, applied a different type of acid and was supposed to see her every two weeks. After 6 weeks of making it worse (where I had blisters now I had painful mosaic warts!) and dealing with 3 days in a row of hardly being able to walk, I decided to do a thorough research on the web and avoid the pain, too!
Sherrie’s comment on Feb 12, 2007 in the comments above gave me hope that duct tape could help.
Even my health insurance website suggest the use of duct tape! so I decided to give it a try.
It’s been 3 weeks now and the results are unbelievable. The smaller mosaics are basically gone, and the largest one (used to be about 1×2 in in size) is starting to look much better).
My technique is this: After soaking for 15 minutes in 12oz of water with Epsom salts, two drops of vitamin A (10,000 UI) and two drops of concentrated grapefruit seed extract (i.e. Agrisept or Citricidal)
I then use a pumice stone to remove the excess skin on top of the warts. Avoid doing it too hard that leaves the skin too sensitive and avoid bleeding!!! Let dry and apply tea tree oil. Leave it uncovered overnight. The next day, the skin is rough and the duct tape will stick very well to the warts.
To shower, I use “finger gloves” those used in the kitchen (watch out if you are sensitive to latex). Wear it on the respective toes (which keeps them quite dry, particularly the big toe). In this way you can wash the rest of the foot without getting your toes wet.
To help my immune system combat the virus and renew the skin, I followed some nurse’s instructions on a website about taking 25,000IU of Vitamin A for 10 days (in 3 doses). I also as per my physician’s recommendation increased my vitamin D3 intake to 7,000 IU a day. This also helps your immune system overall.
Many people forget that homeopathy works! So I also got Thuja Forte and dissolve one tablet under the tongue three times a day, I will be doing this for 3 months as per another website.
Since I started doing this, I am seeing positive results every week I use the pumice stone, I don’t have pain, and can continue to exercise and walk regularly.

The two words in my mind right now: Patience and Perseverance.

October 14, 2010 at 9:48 pm
(32) mateo says:

duct Tape worked for me. the key is to keep it covered all the time (change daily). If the skin under the tape is not dying (coming off)you are using the wrong tape. you must create a hostile environment for the wart. when the tape is off the wart is recovering. keep it covered all the time until it’s completely gone.

March 15, 2011 at 5:55 pm
(33) Helena says:

I have read MANY places on the internet to try duct tape, and considering I had to have my plantar warts cut off in a few days, (which I happened to be dreading A LOT) I decided it couldn’t hurt. I cleaned my foot really well, then put the duct tape on right before I went to bed. Not even a full day later, one of the warts came off completely with the removal of the duct tape. I was so relieved, and I am now waiting to go to the doctor to get them cut off. The duct tape has worked GREAT so far, and I haven’t had any problems with irritation, etc. I would recommend using duct tape for a painless way of wart removal. ( It also works for skin tags! )

April 8, 2011 at 11:57 am
(34) Tim says:

My doctor suggested I try duct tape for a single plantar wart that was making walking painful. I put a tiny piece on my foot and left it on for 3 days. Seeing that the tape was starting to come off- it can only resist water for so long i suppose- I went to change the tape and was shocked when the wart came off with it. I didn’t even feel it. I can’t say with certainty that this will work for everyone, but rather than spend a bunch of money on questionably effective over-the-counter cures that take weeks or months, or medical procedures, I highly recommend trying this as the first countermeasure. It’s cheap, easy, & you may be pleasantly surprised.

April 12, 2011 at 9:35 pm
(35) Elaine Ash says:

Well, my seven year old son has had a plantar wart for at least 6 months now on the ball of his foot, and we have tried the over the counter “duoplant kit” as recommended by the DR, and were then referred to a podiatrist or chiropodist for further treatment which may or may not include the acid or burn methods………needless to say this has my son totally freaked out!!! The wart has greatly affected the way he walks as there is a lot of pain with the steps.
Tonight after reading a lot of internet testimony we had decided to try the duct tape method – many different notations here about changing daily, or waiting until the tape starts to lift, then soak the foot use a pumice stone and retape – not sure which is better, but will give it a try and see what works best for him…………..will let you know if we notice a change

May 6, 2011 at 1:43 pm
(36) Katelynn says:

I’m thirteen years old and got a planter wart on my big toe about four years ago…I didn’t want to tell anyone cause I thought it was gross, and I’m still not gonna tell anyone. But now,over time, it has turned into (this is really really gross) seven of them on my big toe and two on the toe next to it.
I’ve spent four year hiding my feet and always wearing socks…and actually I’ve been pretty succsesful with hiding it because no one has noticed. But I’m pretty darn ready for them to be gone…so I’m trying the duct tape today and seeing what happens.(:

June 4, 2011 at 5:15 pm
(37) RDM says:

The duct tape method for plantar warts really does work for some people. About three years ago I went to a doctor with a huge wart that I suffered with for almost 15 years. (Gross, I know.) The doctor actually recommended using duct tape as the first line of defense. Here’s the theory: Warts are living things that need oxygen to survive. When you thoroughly cover the wart with the tape you cut off its oxygen supply and it dies. It took my wart about two and a half weeks to heal. It was amazing. But I really love this treatment because it’s easy and affordable. You can buy a roll of duct tape for $2.50 as opposed to have more than $1,500 of out patient surgery to have it burnt or frozen off, which could leave a small hole in the bottom of your foot.

July 4, 2011 at 1:56 am
(38) Wart Sufferer says:

I have about 5 Plantar warts at the base of my toes, and tried the Feezeaway, but it didn’t work. Read about Duct tape online and it’s been 3 days now. I can feel it working, but I know it’s a good pain, which makes it bearable!!! After changing the tape the first day, one of the baby warts came right off!!! The other 4 sare getting ready to come off soon!!! I highy recommend duct tape!!!!

July 12, 2011 at 3:11 pm
(39) wart.fed up says:

I have a 11yo daughter that has had a plantar wart for about a yr now and we have tried the over the counter stuff and it did not work. I think it actually helped the one make a smaller one right next to it. I took her to the doctor and she told us about the duct tape method and so far it is working. We change it everyday since it is summer and stuff but our doc said it is supposed to be 6 days on and one day off. we are on day 5. also there is a comment way above that states something about it did not work for her because she is on her feet all day and moisture gets under there…i suggest also wrapping the duct tape and edges with bandaids it not only helps with moisture it will also camo the area while wearing sandles and flip flops :) hope this helps

July 20, 2011 at 9:12 pm
(40) kiki says:

Duct Tape worked wonders for me! I had to keep it on for about a month straight, but it got rid of all my plantar warts and its been about a year now. My friend just got them and they are trying the duct tape method now!

December 18, 2011 at 5:33 pm
(41) Pam says:

Duct tape DOES work, I just have one question, What do you do with the holes that remain in your foot? How and what do you do with them?? Please help

December 27, 2011 at 10:31 pm
(42) bruceh says:

I have the plantar wart under my little toe and its sooo painful to walk on because the little toe hurts so bad. The toe looks fine, not red, just extremely sensitive to ANY pressure. Ive put duc tape on for the last 3 days and it appears that the wart is getting smaller. Im just wondering if anyone else has experienced this type of pain or is it just me ?
Please let me know…brucemhughes@hotmail.com

January 3, 2012 at 6:09 pm
(43) uhh warts says:

i would like to try duct tape but wouldnt the fact that its pulling on your wart hur wen u take it of???i have two and ive been using the sylicone thing and all its doing is taking off the skin covering it or around it. so at the moment i can see the roots and im sortof freeking out. im 13

February 19, 2012 at 2:16 pm
(44) d hudson says:

WART GONE AFTER 8 DAYS WITH DUCT TAPE
My son aged 4 had a massive couliflower like one on his toe – we soaked his foot in water with a splash of tea tree oil in it every evening before bed , then dried with his own towel and used a foot emery board on it to chuff a little of the skin away ( just emery board a little every evening) then applied vasaline around the wart with a johnson ear bud then dabbed a little salicyic acid on the wartt and then applied duct tape on around his toe (it is the eighth day now and all the roots and black stuff has come out and the there just appears to be dead white skin that we will sand and vasaline and keep softening in water every evening.

February 24, 2012 at 10:22 am
(45) kelly says:

I am keen to try this as nothing is working for me. But how does one get the tape to stick??
TIA

February 27, 2012 at 11:41 pm
(46) Calgary says:

I have a small plantar wart on the ball of my foot – I have been going to the doctor for about a month, once a week he burns it off. He also told me to use duct tape, I just started to use it this week I don’t know why I waited. The wart seems to be going away, it is pretty much just a shallow hole…here’s hoping! Also, this is going to sound gross but I use tweezers to dig out the roots…it helps…I wash the tweezers and do not use them on anything else. They are wrapped in kleenex. Luckily my wart is not painful, and hopefully it goes away soon.n

March 14, 2012 at 5:28 pm
(47) unknown says:

Does it take one day to go away

May 2, 2012 at 7:05 pm
(48) NavyWife says:

I have a planter wart. My Dr has froze it off but it didnt work. I have been using duck tape for a week. My foot does not hurt anymore. But how do i know when its gone? Will the duck tape pull it out? please help. TIA

July 27, 2012 at 7:46 pm
(49) Gabe says:

I honestly do believe duct tape DOES work as it is currently working on the plantar wart under my left foot. I’ve noticed that leaving the duct tape on for 2 or 3 days and then off for one works really well. The day you leave it off, the wart becomes very dry, and when that happens, you want to get a file and file the dead/ dry skin off. Then after that, reapply the duct tape. It’s a hassle but I’m telling you, it is CURRENTLY working for me, and it saves you unnessecary trips to the doctor and lots of money. I have no affiliation with any duct tape companies, so you can trust this is an honest testimonial from someone just like you, haha. Good luck!

November 7, 2012 at 3:31 pm
(50) NEC says:

I had plantar’s warts on both feet for 10 years. My doctor tried freezing them with liquid nitrogen MANY times. Nothing helped. My doctor finally told me about some success being had with prescribing Tagamet and Vitamin E orally. We decided to try it and it killed my warts withing 2 days! I couldn’t believe how well this worked (and how painless it was for me!).

December 24, 2012 at 5:25 pm
(51) teaudawn says:

I have spent hundreds of dollars to try and rid myself of this painful plantar wart on the ball of my foot and the duct tape is working, taking some time and worth the wait pain free .

January 2, 2013 at 12:45 am
(52) Warty says:

I am thirteen years old, and I’ve had a single plantar wart on the ball of my foot right under my fourth toe for around a year. Not wanting anyone to find out, I’ve picked, scraped, medicated, and researched about the little wart, yet NOTHING has worked so far. Because it’s in a weird spot, putting the duct tape on the wart so it sticks was a difficult task; it took me at least 15 minutesI have worn the tape now for around an hour, and it feels like it hurts more than before, but most comments say that’s just part of it. I’ll be updating here in three days to give my results, so wish me luck!!:)

March 9, 2013 at 9:25 am
(53) fisheye says:

I had posted this on a internet forum some time ago:

“When I was 19 I was plagued by plantar warts on my feet. I had almost 100 of them – about fifty on each foot. Some were almost half an inch in diameter and half an inch deep. It was very painful and I wore special cleats on my shoes so the front of my foot did not touch the ground.

I went to a local dermatologist that told me she could remove them with an operation. She also told me that she had read a journal that said the virus could be removed with a red dye. The idea was that the virus would be attracted to the dye and leave my feet. I knew the operation would be very painful – so; I figured I would try the dye. This was back in 1966. I applied the dye which was a iridescent, purple/red dye, after every shower. In two weeks I had no warts left on my feet.

To this day; I do not know if it was not just psychosomatic or if the dye actually worked. I was in the military, at that time, and did not go back and thank my dermatologist. She retired before I ever had a chance to contact her. I did have the pressure of the pending operation playing on my mind. She also sounded very plausible with her explanation of the dye and the results. I think the dye was a sulfate base – maybe similar to a dye they use on horses? However; I was young and dumb and there was no internet.”

My thinking is that duct tape, garlic or other cures could be psychosomatic? But; I really don’t know. The main thing is that some of these cures obviously work and save us a lot of pain!

March 26, 2013 at 12:27 pm
(54) Nisha H says:

I want to tell everyone how bad duct tape can actually be. I tried using duct tape on my plantar wart that was not responding to freezing. Instead of helping, it actually burned the healthy skin around the wart, while leaving the wart intact. Now I had to deal will the pain of the burns on top of the discomfort of the wart. I went to see a podiatrist. He said the duct tape treatment should be banned. He has seen plenty of cases of patients causing themselves more trouble and pain by employing it. My burns were so severe, that he took a picture as a means of educating his patients on what NOT to do to treat the warts. Now I have to wait for the skin to heal before the wart can be treated. That means another week of pain and discomfort. What a bummer!

April 18, 2013 at 6:11 pm
(55) eric says:

3 years ago I gained my first planters wart upon returning home from a trip. I ignored it, hoping that it would go away, soon after that one wart turned into 2 then 8 then 18. I was frantic to find a fix for this shy of burning off all of the warts. I was apposed to burning simply due to the percentage of return after this “fix”. So I looked on the internet and found this link. For one solid year I kept the bottom of my foot covered in duct tape. This was in no way fun, it was annoying and smelled horrible at times. When the skin started to swell ( like when wet) I covered each hole in clear nail polish then reapplied more tape. 30 days ago all of the warts tuned backish brown, I then shaved all of the dead skin and began to pull off anything that would flake. I ‘m happy to report that all 18 platters warts have died. I can wear flip flops in public again.
If you have one wart, do not wait to take action. Trust me, the longer you wait the more possibility that the wart will divide. I know that this method of dealing with wart’s will not work for everyone, I just wanted to share my story..

July 12, 2013 at 6:54 pm
(56) Melissa says:

Duct tape works for sure, I had used everything under the sun with no effect, then after daily application of duct tape for about 2-3 weeks it suddenly disappeared.

August 28, 2013 at 10:03 pm
(57) It's gone says:

I hadn’t even known that I had a wart on my foot until one day the pain appeared. And oh my gosh did it hurt! So upon closer inspection, I saw what the source was. My Google results did not cause me to want to go to the doctor and spend a lot of money to have it burned/dug out, involving more pain and potentially a hole there which could take forever to heal.

Read about the duct tape, but didn’t have any. So tried waterproof surgical tape (had some in my first aide kit) and though it seemed to mostly stick well enough, by end of day it would come off.

So bought some Super Glue and that worked like magic! Put a layer of it over the wart and that stuff stayed put until I peeled it off. It smothered the wart beneath and now it’s gone!! :-)

September 15, 2013 at 12:35 am
(58) GA says:

Nail polish works!!!
1) pull off the hard growth dead skin it is round it is from the root uses your fingernail. If it will not come off with your fingernail go to the next step 2
2) put nail polish on ( dark nail polish to keep the light out) use about a half dallor size a mount around area . Apply
Every two days.

3) continue step 1-2 or just step 2 from above for a month then keep nailpolsh on the area for a month after you think the wort is gone to make sure it is gone.

Try at your own risk!!!
It worked for me:)

October 12, 2013 at 10:45 pm
(59) Lsm says:

After 10 full years of having a plantar wart, finally I got rid of it.
I went to 4 different doctors. Three of them tried liquid nitrogen. One of them inyected me anesthesia into my foot. That is the most painful thing I have ever felt (and I gave birth with almost no anesthesia a month before this). That didn´t help. One time it help for a while but then the wart moved alittle bit to the left. The fourth doctor tried quimotherapy. Yes, you heard it right. Not in my whole body, but inyected locally. Well, that didn´t help either. The funny part about this is that the pharmacist, when handling me the quimotherapy, he said: “you are so young, everything is going to be ok, don´t worry, you are going to be ok.”
So, I read about the apple cider vinegar, and I decided to give it a try. At first it didn´t help. I tried it again, and again it didn´t help. I was getting really upset about it. So after several months of trying the apple cider vinegar, and rubbing it with the pumice stone, I decided to really look into the wart. With little scissors, I dig into it. And by digging, I mean digging until I saw blood. I was so tired of it that it didn´t hurt that much. When I cutted all the white possible and I could see muscle, that is when I used apple cider vinegar and duct tape. It hurted a lot. I couldn´t sleep that day, neither the next day. By the third day I used more vinegar and a new duct tape. By the forth day it began to get black. By the seven day, everything was black. After two weeks I pulled the black dot and IT WAS GONE!!!! I was so happy. Been like that for several months now.. hopefully it won´t return. Oh oh, forgot to say that I prayed this last time as well.
Good Luck!

December 30, 2013 at 4:24 pm
(60) W. Pacheco says:

The study you cited where duct tape didn’t perform any better than a placebo? You might want to read it. The researchers used clear tape, which is completely different from duct tape. They admitted their mistake (as funny as it is that someone would attempt such a study without contacting the original researchers to make sure they’re using the correct tape.)